All dogs chew. It’s instinctive. You might notice your dog spending hours chewing every day, and that isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Chewing helps to provide stimulation for your dog and can help relieve anxiety. You might consider rawhide treats as a substitute for less healthy snacks for your dog (instead of your new trainers, or the corner of your sofa), but is rawhide good for dogs?
Simply put, rawhide can be very harmful to dogs. Contamination, digestive irritation and choking are all risks associated with giving your dog rawhide. That’s why we’ve created our own special line of 100% Natural Fish Skin Tubes that aren’t dangerous for your dog, avoiding all unnecessary risks for you and your pet.
What Is Rawhide? Is Rawhide Good for Dogs?
Rawhide comes from the inner layer of animal hides (usually fish, cows, or horses). These hides are cleaned and cut (or ground) during manufacturing, then pressed into chewable dog treats of all shapes and sizes. To make these chewable treats more appealing for dogs, some rawhide manufacturers add beef, chicken or liver flavourings.
The Risks of Rawhide
Rawhide-related incidents are becoming more common, and the implications for your dog can be serious, even fatal. The most common risks associated with giving your dogs rawhide are:
- Contamination: Salmonella or E. coli contamination is possible, which can pose a danger to both dog and owner.
- Digestive Irritation: Some dogs have sensitive digestive systems, whilst others are allergic to the substances used in the manufacturing of some rawhide treats. Common issues include constipation and diarrhoea.
- Blockages and Choking: These are the most serious risks when giving rawhide to your dog. If your dog swallows large pieces of rawhide, it can get stuck in their oesophagus or other parts of the digestive tract. Sometimes a trip to the vets may be required to remove these pieces through the throat, but abdominal surgery might be necessary to remove pieces of rawhide from the stomach or intestines. If blockages aren’t quickly resolved, they can prove fatal.
The risks of giving your dog rawhide far outweigh the benefits. That’s why Angell Petco developed our own 100% Natural Fish Skin Tubes to mitigate these risks and provide a safer, more organic way to treat your dog. Our Fish Skin Tubes are made from one single, natural ingredient. Dogs love the taste of fish, which is why we kept things simple and avoided using unnecessary additives.
Fish Skin Tubes vs Rawhide Bones and Treats
There are numerous benefits associated with treating your dogs to Angell Petco’s 100% Natural Fish Skin Tubes:
- They’re rich in Omega-3, which supports your dog’s immune system, promotes healthy skin and keeps their coats glossy.
- They act as exfoliants for your dog’s teeth, promoting healthy teeth and gums.
- They’re good for chewing habits, strong jaws, healthy teeth and fresher breath.
- They’re hypoallergenic with no additives or flavourings.
- They’re a great, low-calorie treat or reward — perfect for dogs that are prone to putting on weight, such as labradors.
Omega-3 fatty acids — such as those found in fish skin — are great for promoting a healthy immune system, healthy skin and a glossy coat. These properties aren’t found in regular rawhide treats, so your dog isn’t getting anything near the nutritional value we offer in our 100% Natural Fish Skin Tubes.
It’s also highly important to look after your dog’s oral health. Our hand-rolled chewy treats exfoliate your dog’s teeth and help to remove plaque and prevent tatar build-up — similarly to a toothbrush — without hurting their mouths or causing digestive problems.
Our Fish Skin Tubes will also go a long way to improve your dog’s breath, especially if it is particularly pungent!
How and When to Give Your Dog Fish Skin Tubes
Angell Petco’s 100% Natural Fish Skin Tubes are suitable for dogs of all sizes over 14 weeks old. These treats should be given as part of a balanced diet, but they should never replace a dog’s meal. Feed them Fish Skin Tubes as a treat or reward between normal meals, and always ensure your dog has a bowl of fresh water available after eating to keep them hydrated.
Make sure you wash your hands after handling any animal-based treats to prevent contamination, protecting yourself and your dog. If you have multiple dogs or other pets, you should aim to separate your dog whilst chewing so that they can relax.
Our Fish Skin Tubes can be ordered in bulk, meaning you’ll never run out. They can also be ordered on a subscription basis (from four weeks to 12 weeks) so your supply will arrive as and when you need it, without the hassle of reordering.
We guarantee delivery in two working days, but 88% of our customers receive their parcel the next day.
Angell Petco’s 100% Natural Fish Skin Tubes
Angell Petco’s 100% Natural Fish Skin Tubes are hand-rolled, hypoallergenic (with no artificial colours, flavours or preservatives) and exceptionally rich in Omega-3, which is great for your dog’s eyesight, skin and coats. Give your dog our Natural Fish Skin Tubes as a treat to satisfy their need to chew, whilst also supporting their joints and gut health.
IMPORTANT: You should never feed your dog raw fish, as it can contain parasites and be extremely harmful.